In case you haven’t noticed, it’s July 10th, which means that we’re quite a few days into the second half of 2013.
How did that happen?!
And do I sound like a broken record whenever I talk about how time is absolutely flying?
I definitely feel like one.
Well, I can’t even remember some of my resolutions for this year, so I think it’s time to do a little check-in. (Actually, I didn’t really do resolutions, I did a sort of list of ideas for continuous self improvement… but same thing, really.)
I listed my 2013 ‘resolutions’ here, but in case (like me) you don’t remember them, let’s do a recap.
- Reading more – I’m not reading as much as I had hoped. I’m still reading, but I’d like to still make it a nightly habit.
- Relaxing – Done and done! Not wedding planning has certainly helped with this one! And that little trip to Hawaii we took, of course.
- Drinking more tea – Yep! I love my tea.
- Waking up before sunrise to start the day off more calmly – Hell to the no. My days never begin calmly. Still a work in progress on this one.
- Limiting phone and internet use – What was I even thinking when I wrote this? In my defense, it was before I discovered Twitter and Instagram
- Traveling! – Yep! We went to Hawaii and have a few trips planned over the summer for some weddings. We still have to plan some of our ‘bigger’ trips.
- Worrying about the future less – I’m well on my way to accomplishing this! I’m becoming way better about living in the moment.
- Giving more (time, money, etc) – Check, check, check!
- Loving more completely – I like to think I’m doing this better.
- Living simply – Shopping less, but eating out more than ever. We’ll say this is still a work in progress, but I’ve been proud of myself thus far.
- Working productively – Welllll…….
- Working out regularly – I’ve been going to the gym 2-3 times per week, and it’s still my goal to get to CrossFit at least 3 times per week.
So we’ll agree that I’m making some progress, but thank goodness I have about 6 more months to really focus on some of these improvements!
Then, after I had written my original list of improvements, I came across a new way to do resolutions, and posted a resolution remix.
The word that I chose for 2013 was ‘freedom’, and let me tell you, it’s constantly been in the back of my mind!
It’s been the one resolution / improvement that I can really focus on. I’ve been consciously committed to creating a life that is free of self-imposed obligations and guilt. A year ago I had a full list of people that I needed to email/call/stay in touch with, which I now no longer keep track of. I have placed far more effort on being a better friend to those around me rather than staying in touch with people out of obligation. I’ve been taking time for myself and doing things I truly love doing. I’ve been saying ‘no’ to family and social plans when I know that I don’t have the energy to be fully present at an event.
Sure, I still feel guilty when I say ‘no’ to people, but I do feel better about the way I’m living my life and I feel much less overwhelmed.
But let’s be honest, not planning a wedding or honeymoon probably helps in that department!
I still have things I can improve on and ways I know I could feel even a greater sense of freedom, but I think I’m off to a terrific start, and I’m proud of myself!
How are you doing on your resolutions?! Do you even remember them?!
Cheers for being halfway through 2013 and for what I’m sure will be an amazing next 6 months.