A different kind of beauty.

Confession: I kind of wanted to post this picture on my blog or Instagram a few days ago (when the picture was taken), but I chickened out because even though I think it’s a beautiful picture, I don’t see it as ‘blog beautiful’, if that makes sense. But, when I saw this linkup, I knew I had to share it.

Because this is what my world now looks like. This picture was taken after a long day of entertaining visitors in our home. As soon as guests leave, I tend to strip down to the bare minimum. I don’t always wear clothes, my hair isn’t done and my makeup isn’t on, I can’t leave the house as easily as I’d like to – so the couch is my resting place of choice for the majority of my time, and I have a mini-human who depends on me to be a constant milk machine. Speaking of the mini-human, we don’t always dress her, so she just hangs out in her diaper unless we have a reason to put her in an adorable newborn-sized outfit.

But I find this life to be beautiful, even if it’s not always convenient or fun. Another person depends on me for all of her needs, and that in itself is mind-blowing for me. Being a mom has made me feel beautiful and important in a way that I’ve never felt before.

two martinis - don't try so hard

*Thanks to Kate, Nicole, and Jackie for the link-up inspiration.

Cheers!

Bloglovin’ | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | Facebook )

This entry was posted in being an adult, being introspective, blogging, family, imperfection and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to A different kind of beauty.

1. Kate Jordan says:

This is an absolutely gorgeous picture, I think it’s definitely one that is “blog beautiful” and beautiful in every other way. I do understand though, that to post something you don’t think is “blog beautiful” can take a little bit of courage/convincing to do. So I am taking my hat off to you for doing so!

Thanks so much, Kate! I think I see ‘blog beautiful’ as more staged and less real, but I should probably work on changing that – since the ordinary can be beautiful (and maybe even inspiring) in its own way. I’m just better at seeing this beauty in other people’s photos/posts rather than my own!

2. Um…. this picture is stunning! Really. I have baby fever at the moment and I am about to start crying just looking at this! Beautiful! I think that it is all kinds of beautiful my friend — your nose, your lips, and your cheekbones are all perfection. Not to mention, you just look “at peace” in this photo — tired yes, but also full of bliss!

Thank you so much for linking up!

-Kate

Thanks so much, Kate! Baby fever has a cure you know… start popping out babies! 😉 I definitely feel blissful lately, motherhood is wonderful even if I don’t always feel ‘beautiful’ or quite like my pre-baby self!

3. Cassie Lee says:

This photo is amazing. Motherhood can be less than glorifying, but then moments like this are captured and it reveals pure beauty! Love this.

Thanks so much, Cassie! I totally agree, if there’s one thing I’ve learned in the past few days, it’s that motherhood is not glamorous but it is beautiful!

4. This is so beautiful! There’s nothing more touching or lovely than the love between a mom and sweet baby! Definitely counts as blogworthy

Thanks so much Monica! The love between me and Clara is definitely a kind of love I haven’t experienced before, and I’m glad Tim was able to capture this moment!

5. Leelee says:

This is seriously one of the best new mama pictures that I have seen in a while. Forget perfect. This is real life and it is beautiful.

Awww that’s so sweet! Thanks so much for your kind words. I think ‘real life’ can indeed be so beautiful, but I recognize it better in other peoples’ lives than my own!

6. kdhopwood says:

That picture is beyond beautiful! I love it, and you shouldn’t be ashamed in the least little bit!

Thanks so much! I think it’s easier to see the beauty of the ‘real moments’ in other people’s lives than it is to recognize it in our own… but I’m glad Tim captured this moment!

7. Katherine Lacabe says:

That’s a gorgeous picture for a blog or for anywhere!!!

8. This is a beautiful picture and worthy of sharing! I love seeing these moments that aren’t planned or staged. It’s real life and that’s what makes it so wonderful:)

Thanks so much, Kari! I agree, real life is beautiful and we probably don’t share it enough – I know I don’t see the beauty in my everyday as much as I see it in pictures that other people post!

9. Jamie says:

I absolutely thing it’s a beautiful picture. It shows what your life is really like and any photo that can do that, I think is beautiful!

Thanks so much, Jamie! I do agree that pictures of ‘normal’ life can be the most beautiful, but for some reason I don’t think this usually applies to my own life!

10. This picture is soo beautiful! Gosh it makes my heart SOO happy to see you as a mommy!!

Gosh, I still kind of forget that I’m a mom. Like, I know I’m in charge of this little person, but MOM seems like such a responsible person, and I’m not sure I’m ready yet!

11. Kaitlin Rose says:

So gorgeous! Such a beautiful moment. Mommyhood looks wonderful on you!

This photo wins the day. Seriously, so beautiful, and beyond your own beauty. This a beautiful moment too. Gorg!!

You are too sweet, Amanda! Motherhood definitely makes me feel peaceful and fulfilled in lots of ways, although I don’t necessarily feel very beautiful or glamorous lately!

13. Erin says:

SUCH a beautiful picture- I’m so glad you posted it 🙂 Makes me extra excited to be a mom one day!

Thanks so much, Erin! Motherhood (so far) is much, much better and more rewarding than I ever thought it would be. I recommend it 😉

14. Girl Brooks says:

What an incredibly beautiful moment captured! You look stunning.

15. Kalyn P says:

Moved me to tears Lisa! So beautiful (the moment and yourself!)

16. Cassandra Duggins says:

Congratulations on the new baby! I am due towards the end of September and I can no be more excited!

Thanks so much! And good luck on your little one! The time will seriously fly by. Looking back, I can’t believe how quickly everything seemed to happen at the end of pregnancy!

17. Lisa C says:

Beautiful photo! It’s definitely one Clara will cherish 🙂

18. Bev F. says:

Oh, I miss these moments! Thanks for sharing, it is definitely “blog beautiful.” (And if my little one hadn’t been born in the winter, definitely would have had her spending more time just in diapers as well! It’s so hard to dress a newborn.)

I’m sure in a few weeks I’ll miss these sleepy moments we share together! It must be impossible to dress a newborn in the winter – so many layers!

19. LOVE that picture… perfection. 🙂

20. Jenn says:

so beautiful! definitely a photo to cherish always.

Thanks, Jenn! I think I’m going to put it in Clara’s baby book so she can see what the first few weeks of her life looked like. <3

21. Love this and so glad you decided to share this sweet moment!

22. Lisa, I almost cried when I saw this photograph – the beauty is honestly overwhelming. Thank you for sharing this moment of love with us.

23. jackie jade says:

aww this is definitely a beautiful photo and so real which is what this linkup was all about. thanks for linking up with us!

24. Chelsea says:

This is so beautiful! What a precious moment you captured.

25. Ashley says:

I think this photo is gorgeous! Definitely needs to be shared.

26. Finley says:

wow just absolutely beautiful Lisa. That feeling is something i can’t wait to experience one day and your words on explaining it make it even more of a want! An absolutely stunning picture – what a gorgeous mum you are!!!

27. Sara says:

Love it!!! Such a beautiful picture! I did exactly the same when my first was born! Loved lounging around comfortably with her!

28. Lisa, wow, this is a gorgeous photo. You look relaxed and comfortable – and I confess, I don’t always wear clothes at home either.

Thank you for being a part of this link-up, you’re so brave =)

I’ve joined in too!

(a video of me shaving my head, intimate & vulnerable)