Her first birthday party.

We hosted Clara’s first birthday party over the weekend, and it was a great success! (I rankΒ it as a great success because I had a wonderful time. I have no idea if anyone else did or not, but there was booze there so I’ll just assume people had fun.)

20150712_first birthday__MG_1272-2

The snack table contained bananas and snack pouches for the little ones!Β

Photos of baby at 1-12 months for a first birthday party

These are pictures of Clara wearing screen printed onesies from her first month to her twelfth month. I hung them up on string with clothes pins.

Gold, Mint, and Pink First Birthday Party Decor

Hosting a party in Chicago is tricky because space is limited, so we had the get-together in my BIL’s backyard. I wanted a casual get-together with friends to celebrate the past year, and that’s exactly what we had!

About 50+ of our nearest and dearest friends attended and we inflated a kid pool and set out a water table for the little ones. This is key if you’re hosting a toddler party in the summer: make sure there is a water element.Β

Tip: Have a water table at a toddler party

Water table for the win!

Nothing keeps kids entertained longer than water.

This is my one-year-of-being-a-parent wisdom speaking.

We served alcohol and snacks and had places for the adults to mingle.

Clara's First Birthday PartyI had the great idea to take a kid picture. This isn’t all of the kids, but at least we got close… And only half of them were crying by the time we ‘released’ them from this blanket after 2 minutes. It was chaos.

I sent out (online) invitations two weeks (or maybe a week?) ahead of time and started thinking of decorations a day or two before the party. I may or may not have been frantically running around the hours before the party trying to do last minute creative ides, and we set-up about 30 minutes before the guests arrived.

20150712_first birthday__MG_1275-2

I am obsessed with the cakes. The smash cake is on the right (vanilla) and the adult cake is on the left (chocolate). It turns out Clara likes chocolate the best, though.

All this is to say that hosting a one year old party (despite what Pinterest would lead us to believe!) does not need to take a lot of time and months of preparation and thousands of dollars. Clara had a blast running around in her swimsuit and playing with her friends and her absolute favorite thing about the party was the ice bucket that we kept the soda in.

And the best part for me and Tim, aside from being able to watch all of the kids have a good time and being able to see manyΒ of our favorite friends and family members in the same place, was that Clara was so tired she went to sleep and slept for 12+ hours straight!

It was a happy day, indeed.

This entry was posted in life events and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Her first birthday party.

1. Amberly says:

Cutest party ever!! So impressed with how quickly it came together. I’ll let you plan Bensen’s next year for me πŸ˜‰

Awwww thanks so much, Amberly!! Of course I’m a super procrastinator, but I also think it’s a bit nuts that people spend SO much time and money on a first birthday – it’s over in a couple of hours when the kids start getting restless!

2. Those cakes look INSANE! (In the best way). All of that frosting is making my mouth water. Looks like it was a wonderful party πŸ™‚

The cakes were seriously so cute and they tasted GREAT. If you ever need a cake for an occasion, let me know and I’ll put you in touch with my friend who makes them! <3

3. Chelsea says:

I love the colors! And those cakes look amazing!

4. I seriously can’t believe you put that all together in just a few days! Everything is so cute & I love that you displayed all of her photos together like that! So fun to see her grow over the months!

5. Valerie says:

Happy birthday Clara! What beautiful decorations, and the cakes?! LOVE it! Those photos month by month are precious too…taking notes for future reference πŸ™‚

Thanks so much, Val!! I loved the photo display… I highly recommend using clothes pins to hang them on a string if you do one in the future πŸ™‚ The cakes tasted even better than they look – SO GOOD and such a shame that one was smashed!

6. Katie @ A Beautiful Little Adv says:

Happy Birthday, Clara! What a beautiful party, I love how you displayed her photos. Taking notes for about a year from now πŸ™‚ Love watching your family grow.

Thanks so much, Katie!! Her little photo display was my favorite part of the party decor. I definitely recommend using clothes pins to display them – super easy!

7. Sara Hughes says:

i can’t even believe how long it has been since i’ve read your blog πŸ™ seeing all that you guys have been up to and watching clara grow has been amazing! i can’t believe that she is 1! i remember last year anxiously waiting to see if you would have a little girl or boy and geesh your princess turned out amazing! she is so full of light! happy first birthday clara jane!

I KNOW!!! I can’t believe she’s already one either. And I also can’t believe I ever thought she could be a boy – it seems so crazy now. Our little ones are growing so fast!

8. The decor and cakes are adorable. I love the light and breezy color theme and it looks like everyone had a wonderful time and created great memories πŸ™‚ Congratulations!!

9. Charissa Rivera says:

Awwee! This is so cute. I can say that her first birthday is one of the good memories you had that you will cherish forever. Preparing a birthday party is not that hassle, especially if you will do it with all your heart for your love ones. Birthdays come once a year in our lifetime, so we need to celebrate it and make it a memorable one. Though the setting is not that big, but it is just enough for the kids and other visitors. Good job in doing that, wishing Clara a happy birthday and more birthdays to come. Cheers! essaymama reviews