Mondays Are For Coffee (Dates)

Is there anything better than a coffee date with a friend? Nope.

Although, it’s not as easy as it once was to get in a full conversation with a friend, since my/our attention is divided between us calming down our infants or chasing after our toddlers. It’s amazing how quickly topics get dropped and subjects get changed because of the constant distractions. However, even though the conversations don’t usually get as deep as I would like, the time spent with friends is so appreciated and so valuable. I truly love spending time with my girlfriends and other moms!

So let’s pretend you and I have carved out some time for a playdate or a cup o’ coffee.

If we were on a coffee date

During this coffee date…

I would either be wrangling two kids or talking about how relieved I am to be by myself and not wrangling two kids. I’ve recently started pumping breastmilk (such glamorous stuff) so I’m able to go out of the house by myself every once in a while!

I would be conflicted on whether to order an iced or a hot drink. Seattle was really hot for a few days but now it’s getting cooler, so I’m not sure if I’m officially in summer mode or not.

I would shake my head and mention the Orlando shooting and share that I feel helpless because it doesn’t seem like politicians are willing to do anything to help stop gun violence in this country.

I would recommend you read “All Joy and No Fun” if you’re a mom. I’m about halfway through it and am really enjoying it.

I would ask if you (like me) have a habit of over-committing to things. I’m definitely guilty of wanting to sign up for every single opportunity that comes my way, and then get a bit overwhelmed when I look at my calendar!

I would inquire as to whether you watch The Bachelorette and ask who your favorite contestant is. I don’t know what it is about this show, but I love watching it and discussing it with friends. Also, Chad is my guilty pleasure – I just love watching him! He’s so nuts and he has the best devilish smile.

I would admit that having twoย kids is exponentially harder than having one kid. If you have kids, I would ask you if you feel the same way and how you’re coping with it. I would ask you for advice on how to split up household tasks and how to maintain your sanity and how to ensure you get a break each day.

I would tell you that I’m starting to feel like my ‘old’ self again, and that my c-section incision has stopped hurting – yay! I would say that we even went hiking this past weekend because I am ready to get out of the house and start being active again.

I would guiltily tell you that I’m sleeping fine at night (If you asked. And you would ask, because everyone asks new parents how they’re sleeping!). I would shrug and say that Isabelle has yet to have a night where she wakes up more than 1-2 times, and she only stays awake for 10 minutes at a time. I would be quick to say that this is a very different experience than we had with Clara, and I’m just hoping it continues for a while!

I would ask if you had any favorite vegetarian recipes, because I’m looking to mix up things a bit in the kitchen this week.

I would confide that I’m not sure where I want to be in three years (at all), but I don’t mind not having a clear vision. Usually I have a sort of ‘plan’ for the future, but right now I’m not sure if we’ll have more kids, I’m not sure where we’ll be living, I’m not sure if we’ll buy a house or continue renting, I’m not sure if I’ll be working at all, etc! It’s actually very freeing to not have a plan, because I feel like I can continue making decisions as it’s necessary instead of striving towards some goal or decision I’ve already made.

Linking up with Amber today!

What’s on your mind?

This entry was posted in currently and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Mondays Are For Coffee (Dates)

1. erin salmon says:

Love this, Lisa! So grateful to have you at the table for our coffee dates. <3

2. I added a new book to my list! ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s ever growing and never shrinking at this point… Also, I finally caught up on Bachelorette this weekend ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m kind of mad that there isn’t an episode again until next week. And I’ve been too consumed by Chad’s crazy to really pay attention to other contestants ๐Ÿ˜›

3. Wow-I’ve never herd a new mom say she was sleeping so well! That is awesome! Congrats on your (new) little one, and on feeling better! I’m glad I found your site!

4. Caitlin says:

Hi there, popping over from the coffee link-up! ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s funny reading that Seattle is split between warm/cold temperatures right now… New England is too! I don’t think Mother Nature can make up her mind right now. And as far as vegetarian recipes, I would highly recommend buffalo cauliflower bites or sweet potato/white bean burgers! I have a ton of vegetarian recipes on my pinterest page if you want to check it: https://www.pinterest.com/belongwithwild/

Ohmygosh you just reminded me how much I love cauliflower bites! I haven’t tried the buffalo variety, but Pioneer Woman has a great recipe for something similar. I’m checking out your Pinterest board for sure!

I’m so happy you are getting sleep! (can you tell where my head’s at that I’m focusing on that?) I know that you had a tougher time with clara sleeping long stretches, so this is awesome with the second one being better. I’m telling myself that our next one isn’t going to nap, just like Amelia didn’t, so that I don’t get my hopes up that she’ll be different.

Oh gosh, I REALLY hope your next one naps. Isabelle is giving me some long stretches of sleep at night but not during the day and she’s so darn fussy when she’s awake! She’s actually my most difficult newborn by far, but Clara is now a difficult toddler so maybe there’s hope that Isabelle will be easier in the future…?! I don’t even know what I’m typing anymore, Clara was up all night with 80 bijillion fictional emergencies.

6. Adding that book to my list!

7. Pingback: Cฤฑvata

8. Amber Thomas says:

I HAVE THE BEST VEGGIE PANANG CURRY RECIPE. It’s portobello panang curry (it’s on my Pinterest) and it’s loved and enjoyed by Jason who is FAR from vegetarian friendly. So, yes I DO. (I also have an amazing butternut squash-gnocci-kale bake recipe that is addicting.)

The Bach. We have brackets. We being my entire family. And we’re insanely competitive about it. I think Luke’s a big deal. I think Alex would be a big deal if he was six inches taller but he’s just too short. I think I’m not sure if Jojo is in this for love or for fun… But that will become apparent as the season goes on. I’m DEVASTATED that we don’t have an episode this week.

Also, loved seeing your name on my post yesterday. HI CUTE MAMA TO GIRLS.

I am going to need to search your Pinterest page for it for sure!! Tim is a reluctant vegetarian at home since we don’t cook with meat, so if Jason loves it, I’m hopeful! Also, my family has a Bachelorette fantasy league too so I feel you. I have Chase, Jordan, and Derek left out of my initial 5 contestants. I love Luke the most, though. And I must admit I’m not a big fan of Alex… He just rubs me the wrong way!

9. Mackenzie says:

Let’s talk about this Seattle weather because it cannot make up its mind! Is it summer? Is it not? Today felt like fall and since I go to school in California and am home for the summer, I didn’t mind it one bit!

Those solo trips to yourself sound like the sweetest thing! I also want to read that book and am a senior in college, but why not right?

I agree! Although, looking at the weather forecast I think it’s becoming summer again ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m a big fan of temps in the 60s and 70s! You should totally still read the book, especially if you want kids one day!

10. HOLD ON. You LIKE Chad?! Even as a guilty pleasure, I can’t get on board with him (though I suppose the Bachelorette in general is my guilty pleasure, so I guess in a small way he’s part of that). I’m currently rooting for Chase, Derek and/or Luke, though I do have to say that Wells has grown on me a bit, too. And I’m dying to see what kind of racket Chad causes in Monday’s episode!

Ummmm of course I do! He cracks me up! Plus he has the sexiest evil smile. I mean, I feel kind of bad if any lady actually ends up with him, but I love him on my TV! I’m all about Luke now, though. I think Wells is going home next episode – even though I like him, too.

11. Pingback: Paykasa