The good stuff

This past weekend was a good and simple one.

Hiking Poo Poo Point near Seattle

It involved Scandal (the show, obviously).

A good book. Or two.

A hike with a friend.

Attending church service.

Getting together with our small group (which was also an opportunity for me to make a batch of brownies and know that there was a zero percent chance I’d have to eat the entire batch by myself).

Good conversations with Tim, made possible by the girls sometimes going to bed before 10pm.

Hiking Poo Poo Point near Seattle

Sometimes it’s hard for me to feel like I’m living my absolute best life, since being a mom makes everything else a tiny bit exponentially harder.  Every once in a while I look at my day and think “Who have I become?! How did I get to a point in which I’m cleaning the floors of my house 18 times every day and changing diapers and chasing a toddler and generally not having very much fun?!” Oftentimes I don’t even know what will make me feel good and whole and what I can possibly do for self-care at any given time.

But I have realized that certain things will always make me feel good – and this past weekend was filled with them:

• Being outdoors
  • Having a good conversation
  • Reading / learning about scripture
  • Eating yummy food
  • Building relationships
  • Laughing with my kids and husband
  • Baking
  • Doing a physical activity
  • Reading a good book
  • Taking photos

Hiking Poo Poo Point near Seattle

In this phase of life I’m finding it to be more important than ever to get back to the basics, and to figure out what truly gives me life – and then to do those things, often.

These are the things that I should make time for, even when my calendar seems to be full. And these are also the things that I should turn to when I have ‘free time’ that I’m not using well. Because to feel alive and refreshed is a wonderful thing and it makes me a better friend, wife, and mother.

I love that this past weekend offered me so many ways to relax and be thankful and to feel just a little bit more like me again.

What makes you feel like you?!

This entry was posted in being introspective, currently, favorite things and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The good stuff

1. love this 🙂 What makes me feel like me when I read a good book under clean sheets ha. I love having things ready for the week, tasks crossed off a to do list and feeling prepared. when my toddler’s in bed and i’m ready to relax, it’s always one thing that lets me take a deep breath and relax 🙂 great post today!

Oh gosh that sounds WONDERFUL! I love a good book and clean sheets! Lately Clara has been staying up until 10pm, but I’m hoping this phase ends soon because I need some non-kid time!

oh good lord. I don’t know what makes me feel like that anymore. I think I’m too deep in the trenches right now. but I have been feeling a pull to more alone time to write in my planner, drink coffee and watch a tv show in peace. and I’ve been avoiding doing this because it means I have to get up earlier than the kids. and that thought makes me ill. but I might have to pull the trigger and do it.

I totally get it. I’m in the trenches too but I’m starting to see the light! I’ve found that writing in my planner has helped me to stay organized and to not expect myself to accomplish 80 things per day. Now I just write one or two tasks down and leave the rest for later! Also, getting up earlier than the kids is the WORST and I know I’m supposed to do it but I’d rather just stay up an hour later.

3. I’m glad you had such a happy filled weekend!

4. Your weekend sounds perfect 🙂 I like doing those things, too, although some weeks they feel like chores and I don’t realize how happy they make me until I’ve done them. (Did that make sense?) Our weekends have been crazy busy and there’s still no end in sight, but hopefully we get a relaxing one before summer comes 😉

It was such a good weekend! I think I’m going to start putting self-care acts down in my planner so I can treat them lik ea chore and ensure I make time for them. It’s such important stuff! I hope you get a relaxing weekend soon!

5. Erin says:

Amen to this post, girlfriend. I needed to read this and needed this reminder. The few times I have made time for myself and things I love– whew, what a difference it makes!!!

It makes such a huge difference! Sometimes I really have to remind myself how important self-care is, especially when I’m too tired and I just don’t feel like taking care of myself!

6. AMEN. I know exactly what you’re trying to say here and wholeheartedly agree.

7. Heather says:

I love this. I feel totally the same way, even though I’m not at home with my girls during the day. Being a mother to small children is sooo rewarding but can also be so tiring and “busy”. By that I mean, yes, it feels busy cleaning the floor 18 times a day. It’s great to be able to acknowledge the things that still make you feel like you and make you feel happy. Even if you hit one or two of those things every day, that’s great! 🙂 Glad you had a rejuvenating and good weekend!!

Thanks, Heather!! I’m so glad you can relate, because it reminds me I’m not the only one not able to manage this super-well! I agree, some days I feel so busy and then I realize that ‘busy’ meant I washed the floor a bijillion times and had no time for anything else. Bleh!