Sprinkles and football and a few things in between.

This past weekend was one of those blurry and busy weekends that I’m so tired from that I can’t imagine about blogging about anything else.

A weekend recap this post shall be!

I seriously have a fun-hangover that feels an awful lot like complete fatigue.

Because this is what we did:


The Husband came back from a week-long trip to the west coast, which I was pretty happy about! Also back in town was my cousin, who lives in Cincinnati but was in Chicago for work and decided to stay the weekend to hang out with us and see a bit of Chibera Chitown. When I got home from work, both of these men were in my apartment waiting for me – yay! We decided to do the typical tourist thing, and eat Chicago-style pizza immediately. We went to Lou Malnatis, because it’s the best in the city when it comes to deep-dish pizza.

(I won’t even debate this fact.)

lou malnatis chicago style pizza

Yep, yep, yep. Not that I don’t love these things, but none of them touch my pizza.

The rest of the night was spent watching YouTube videos. Because it turns out that no matter how old men get, they still can watch YouTube videos for hours and hours and hours. I can’t explain, nor can I understand, this behavior at all.


We all slept in a bit too late (noon!) and took off in separate directions. I went to a Stella & Dot jewelry trunk show hosted by a good friend in her apartment, and the men went to do a whirlwind Chicago (winter) tour.

two martinis girlfriends

Shopping with friends is the perfect way to spend a snowy Chicago afternoon.

hot chocolate sprinkles

The rim of this glass was dipped in agave and then in sprinkles. Ta-da!

I drank hot chocolate (birthday cake martinis were the drinks of choice for the alcohol-enjoying guests) and pretty jewelry and lots of food and conversations with my girlfriends. The men toured a bit on Michigan Ave, went to the Microsoft offices to see the views of Chicago, drank a beer at the Billy Goat Tavern, ate Portillos, and finally went to Headquarters Beercade where they met up with some other guys and played pinball and drank more beer. 

On Saturday night we picked up my brother and went to dinner and then to Second City, because it’s awesome every-single-time. Basically, it’s a must-go if you ever find yourself in Chicago, especially on a winter night! We saw the ‘102nd Revue’ and I really enjoyed it and laughed quite a bit! 

two martinis second city chicago

My brother, me (obviously), my cousin, and the Husband at dinner and then my brother and cousin at the show. So fun! 


We woke up fairly early, ate some waffles, and drove my cousin to the airport so he could make it back to Cincinnati in time for a Superbowl party. And then we headed off to a Superbowl party of our own at the Husband’s parents house. We had a great time of eating snacks and catching up… but then the game started.


Yes, the only picture I took of Superbowl Sunday was of my waffles. Don’t judge me.

Let me just say, I was intrigued by the first play being a safety, and then I lost interest entirely (and I actually love football!). That game was BORING! I mean, I didn’t have a strong preference who won anyway, but I at least wanted to see a close game and hilarious commercials. 

Disappointment for sure.

I kind of paid attention to the halftime show, but I was more interested in stuffing my face with as many cocktail shrimp as I could manage. And chili. And all things delicious.

And then we gave up on the game entirely and the Husband, his brother, and I went out to ice skate in the backyard in the sub-zero temperatures. Now, I can’t skate and the ice was rough, so I didn’t do as much skating as I did stumbling. But, the Husband ended up just holding my jacket to keep me upright so I could focus on the important things, like trying to shoot a hockey puck into a bucket. It turns out that skating is a ton more fun when you don’t have to worry about the whole balance thing.

When we were nice and frozen, we headed back inside to thaw out before hitting the road to go home. We finally drove back to the city, stopping at my brother-in-law’s new (and first!) apartment to help move in a dresser/TV and to get a glimpse of the new place (it was really nice!).

By the time we got home it was midnight and I was exhausted and it was all I could do to get my shoes off before crashing into bed.

And now it’s a workday and I am tired and very, very happy from the weekend we had. 

Wish me luck getting through this week, though… I don’t know when I’m going to be able to rest in the foreseeable future!


I hope your weekend was also super-fun! What was your favorite thing you did?!


This entry was posted in chicago, eating, family, weekend fun and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.