Let’s Sit Down for A Cup of Coffee (or Tea)

You order your coffee, I’ll order my tea, and we’ll discuss life for a bit, okay?

Coffee Date

During this coffee date…

I would ask what you ordered. I’m always looking for a new drink from Starbucks or the independent coffee shops around here. (I almost always order a Chai tea latte with soy milk, but if I’m going to treat myself, I go for the coffee.)

I would confide that I’m relieved to be out of my house. I would state the obvious and say that being a stay at home mom is hard and I love the chance to get out of the house and have quality time with a girlfriend.

I would tell you that this past weekend I saw a mom with some sort of dried food smeared on her shirt and I instantly felt better because other moms walk around like that, too! It’s not just me! I wanted to high-five her but I also didn’t want to mention the shirt, because she probably didn’t know she was wearing her toddler’s breakfast.

I would share that I feel it’s cliche to keep talking about cleaning (I mean it’s so obvious I’m almost out of my 20’s… who talks about cleaning?!) but it’s what the other moms and I talk about because HOW IS IT THAT ALL WE DO IS CLEAN and our houses are still messy? I would also apologize for shouting. Then I would apologize for even bringing up cleaning in the first place. Then I would feel bad for apologizing and I would quickly change the subject, even though you would be able to tell that I’m actually really stressed about this whole thing!

I would proudly announce that Tim and I have ‘officially’ been Airbnb hosts for a little over a week and it’s going well! We’ve had three different guests stay, another one comes today, and another one comes on Friday. It’s been exhausting but fun and we’re still working out the details related to hosting and how we can make the entire thing run smoothly and cost-effectively… I would probably go on for far too long about my lessons learned in the process and your eyes might glaze over at certain points. (Blog post coming soon, but on a coffee date I wouldn’t bore you with too many details.)

I would tell you that I’ve been volunteering through United Way to prepare taxes for low income families in the Seattle area. You would probably already know that I spent a lot of time doing this in Chicago last tax season, and I couldn’t wait to do it again this year. (Did you know I’m a CPA? You probably knew that.)  I would smile and say I absolutely love this volunteer opportunity and am so happy that I have the chance to do it.

Sidenote: If you make less than $65k per year, check whether there are free tax preparation services in your area!

Other Sidenote: I can help you with your tax return for a small fee if you don’t want to file your own. Email me and we can chat about options.

I would explain that I am starting to feel ‘legitimately’ pregnant. I would sigh and share that I’m out of the second trimester and it’s all going downhill. I would go onto explain that when I bend over to put on my shoes I feel like I’m squishing the baby. My ribs hurt in the same place they hurt when I was pregnant with Clara. I’m getting a bit uncomfortable (to say the least) but I’m sleeping well and I honestly just can’t complain because I love being pregnant and our due date is less than 100 days away! (It’s actually 74 days away, but who’s counting?!)

I would reluctantly share that I’ve felt busy lately. Like, really busy. And I hate saying that because I realize it’s annoying and self-imposed. But, since we’re friends, I would confess that Tim’s been working long hours which means my job (as a SAHM) has also been requiring long hours, I’m managing the Airbnb, I’m going to almost-weekly chiropractor/physical therapy/counseling/OB appointments. Plus, I’m about to start going to acupuncture appointments, too. In addition to that, we’re still interviewing doulas, I workout as much as I can (not as often as I would like, sadly) and I make a strong effort to go to prenatal yoga at least weekly. And then, of course, there’s the volunteering and blogging and attending our church small group and church services and mom groups and playdates… It’s a lot to keep track of. But here’s the thing, I would not be complaining to you about this busyness, because I really do love every single thing I’m doing. Instead I would be lamenting that that I don’t feel like I have time to rest, but I recognize this is a season of life and I’m embracing it!

I would ask you if you watch ‘The Bachelor’ because I started watching it a few seasons ago and am still hooked. If you said you watch it, I would ask you who your favorite contestant is and we’d probably start discussing the show in way too much detail.

I would tell you all about Clara because she does the funniest things every darn day. I would tell you that she says ‘LOVE YOU!’ (she always yells it) and has recently also started saying her name. She loves cars and trucks and buses – but especially buses. I would laugh and proclaim that this is clearly an urban child.

We would probably talk for quite a while because I have a lot to say, darnit! But some of it would need to wait for another time because I would also want to hear all about you and what you’re doing, what you’re reading, how you’re spending your time…

So tell me, coffee date friend, what’s been the biggest challenge or triumph of your week?!

Linking up with Gretchen & Kristen today!

This entry was posted in currently and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Let’s Sit Down for A Cup of Coffee (or Tea)

I love posts like this! I didn’t know you were a CPA, I must have missed that over the years of reading. I really should start switching up my Starbucks order, there I always get a skinny caramel macchiato, anywhere else I get a chai tea latte. I am so excited to hear about your Airbnb experience!

I probably never really mentioned I have my CPA… it makes me sound nerdier than I am, but I do love taxes! 😉 Do you not like the chai tea lattes at Starbucks? I’ll share all about my Airbnb experience soon!

2. HOLD THE PHONE. You watch The Bachelor?! How did I not know this!! I started watching last season (it’s my roommates and my weekly tradition) and it is seriously my favorite part of Monday. THE DRAMA. Oh, how I love the drama. I also genuinely like Ben. I don’t know if you follow him on Twitter (if you don’t, you should), but he seems like such an all-around fantastic human being – like he actually cares about people more than fame and has a good head on his shoulders. (And man, he has SO much more personality than Chris. I found him to be so, so boring.) I know they’re going to keep Olivia around probably until the final four, but man, she canNOT go home soon enough, in my opinion. I’m sure a good amount of her act is just that–an act–because she seems like a pretty intelligent person, and I think all of this “connection” BS that no sane person would actually believe is all part of the act (because it either has to be that, or she has to be completely clueless, and I don’t think she’s completely clueless. I think she’s extremely calculated, and is using this opportunity to leverage herself into a more prominent broadcast role, probably on E! or something [that thought deserves credit to my roommates, who contributed to it]). I haven’t read any spoilers so I don’t know how things end up, but I’m just about positive that he’s going to end up with Lauren B. at this point. I thought Caila was an early frontrunner, but she’s barely been on TV for the past few weeks, so now I’m betting on Lauren B.

Ohhhh I do watch The Bachelor! Fun fact: I worked in Warsaw, IN for a few months before I met Tim, and I really feel like me and Ben should have probably met and ended up together… but alas, I missed my chance 😉 I haven’t read any spoilers either and I don’t want to! I like Lauren B, though!

3. Kalyn P says:

I would have to admit that I don’t watch the bachelor, or really any other reality TV (okay lets face it, I barely watch TV at all) except HGTV because I’m obsessed with home renovations and also I like to live vicariously through the people/couples on HGTV shows because I feel like I could never afford half the things they do to those homes!
    Also, I’ve really been having a hard time making it to work out but I went TODAY for the first time in almost two weeks and I felt great afterward. It’s amazing what a little sweat/endorphins can do for my all over mood!

Ohhhh I do love HGTV, but it makes Tim and I want to buy a fixer-upper and that’s a HORRIBLE idea! And every time I see how cheap houses are in Texas I get a little depressed 😉 Great job on working out! It always makes me feel so good and productive the rest of the day.

4. I forget that you watch Bachelor! I’ve been so busy this week that I haven’t sat down and caught up on Monday’s episode. I’ll probably get to it on Saturday afternoon.
    Also, you got your airbnb stuff going??? You were accomplished this last month!! I’m excited to hear how it’s going. And now I need to convince Joe to come to Seattle so we can stay with you!!

Ohhhh I do indeed watch The Bachelor but I haven’t watched this week’s episode yet – YIKES. The Airbnb stuff is going really well I think… We have our fourth guest in there right now, and we’ve only been open 1.5 weeks! I’ll have to text you about it (or anything, I miss you!) sometime 🙂

5. ahhh i would order a tea as well! actually, if we were hanging at my house, i’d have a tea but if we were in a starbucks i would order a hot chocolate with extra whip because dang i love their whipped cream haha. that’s so awesome that you are an air bnb host, so cool! i don’t have kids, but i feel you on the cleaning.. i swear, the cleaner my house is, the faster it gets dirty. if it’s dirty, it stays that way haha. not that it’s ever dirty 😉 i don’t watch the bachelor but i do hear about it a lot! my biggest challenge this week is that i can’t seem to stop eating. seriously. all the food, can’t stop. thanks so much for linking up with gretch and i!

Ohhhh the hot chocolate… good call. What have you been eating a lot of lately? I have SUCH a sweet tooth. I really think cold weather makes me want all of the doughnuts and chocolate and sugar.

6. Thanks for joining up! I’m currently drinking a plain black coffee, so I can’t really offer much inspiration. I’m loving the Bachelor this season..so much more than the previous ones! You should check out the podcast “We’re Here to Make Friends”..it’s about an hour long of bachelor gossip and recaps. Love it! So far my favorites are Lauren B., Caila, and Olivia for the drama 😉

Thanks for hosting, Gretchen! I’m glad I found your blog, even though I definitely don’t run as much as I used to and it kind of makes me feel lazy 😉 I would have to agree with your favorite contestants! I was sad Lace left so early… She was great TV.

7. Beauty in Christ says:

I love following mom’s journeys because it encourages me that maybe I could be a mom too. Thanks for being real! AND yes!!! I completely resonate with the cleaning. I have to keep reminding myself, ‘Where no person is the house is clean…’ People are what makes life so special!

8. Sarah Brooks says:

We are officially twinsies!! I just did a “Coffee Talk” post on my new coffeetalkformamas.com blog haha!! Love the concept! I will need to link up with you ladies next time 😉

You definitely wouldn’t be boring me at ALL with AirBnB details!! That is something we want to do!! I can’t wait to read your post!! Specifically, I’d love to know what type of property you’re renting out. Apartment? Condo?! So many options!!

I would share with you my struggles on whether or not we should try for a third baby, as the struggle is real. I would also love to talk all things blogging with you!

Anyways, hope you have a fantastic night!! 🙂

I’m definitely following your blog now, but I’m a bit behind in my reading so I haven’t read the post yet 🙂 I’ll be sharing Airbnb lessons learned when I’ve been doing it for longer than a week! And I can’t even imagine talking about a third kid (YIKES!) but I always hear that it’s easier to go from 2 to 3 kids than it is to go from 0 to 1 or 1 to 2… so just go for it 😉 You can always email me about anything and everything blogging or life related, I’d love to chat.

9. TexErin says:

Black tea. The stronger the better. What a cute way to write this post and talk about what’s going on in your life. Clever girl!

10. Kristen says:

I don’t think I’ve been to Starbucks since December (I went way too many times that month!), but I loved the seasonal Chestnut Praline latte. So good!

I think it’s awesome that you’re an Airbnb host! I’d definitely be interested in reading more about your experience. I’ve never used Airbnb, but I might be more open to it after learning more.

I can’t stay away from their breakfast sandwiches… it’s a weekly treat for me 🙂 And I agree with your evaluation of the chestnut praline latte – so good. I’ll be posting about lessons I’ve learned from being an Airbnb host in a few weeks when I have a good system down and have lessons learned to share!

11. ohmygod the cleaning. it’s like stuff in my house has legs, gets up from where they’ve been put away and just lies all over the floor when i’m not looking. i only have 1 kid and tidying up is an uphill battle. when i ask her to clean her stuff, it literally takes her ONE HOUR because she’ll start playing instead of cleaning arrrggghhhh!!!!!

12. Okay I’m obsessed with the Bachelor! Haha guilty. So far I love Lauren H., Lauren B, Amanda and Becca. I think that’s so cool you volunteer to do people’s taxes. That’s a neat opportunity and I bet people appreciate it so much!

I totally approve of your favorites… except I’m just not sure about Becca. I can’t read her! People really are appreciative of people doing their taxes… it’s so intimidating if you don’t know what you’re doing!

13. Katie @ A Beautiful Little Adv says:

You do sound like you’ve been very busy! That’s awesome that you are volunteering and are now an Air BnB host, it’s making me feel stressed just thinking about adding all that to a busy mom schedule. Can’t wait to hear more about how you manage the hosting!