Portland is quickly becoming one of our favorite places to travel with our kiddos. We love it because:
- It’s driving distance from Seattle.
- The food is amazing.
- There are many places to explore within a short drive – beaches, waterfalls, wine country, hiking… and my favorite book store.
- Some of our best friends live there!
I will say that the drive down there was brutal because Isabelle doesn’t exactly love being confined to a carseat for five (thank you, traffic) hours. We did make a lengthy stop at the Mount St Helen’s Visitor Center to enjoy some short walks nearby but other than that it was a lot of driving and a lot of listening to a baby screaming and as Isabelle screamed Clara yelled “ISABELLE, STOP SCREAMING” so it’s a wonder Tim and I have any sanity left at all.
Maybe we don’t. But that’s neither here nor there.
Here are some recommendations of things to do in Portland (with or without little ones):
- Order (A LOT OF) donuts and chai from Pip’s.
- Enjoy brunch at Screen Door but get there early so you don’t need to wait for hours with an impatient toddler.
- Go berry picking on Sauvie Island.
- Visit the playground at Washington Park. (And also stop at the nearby rose garden if they’re in season!)
- Walk the trails at Hoyt Arboretum, especially if you have little ones who love meandering.
- See Multnomah Falls for a great photo opportunity, if you don’t mind a short drive.
- Take more pictures at Cannon Beach, if you don’t mind a drive in the opposite direction.
- Eat Indian food at Bollywood Theater. This is our favorite Indian food ever.
- Save room for Salt & Straw ice cream which is right next to Bollywood Theater.
Basically, be prepared to eat a lot and enjoy plenty of fresh air and enjoy amazing scenery. Is that Portland’s tourism motto? It should be.
The next time we go I really want to visit the Willamette Valley to drink some wine. Also, I want to spend all of my money at the gorgeous boutiques that I keep finding.
Portland is definitely a city we’ll be happy to go back to over and over again!