Let’s face it, it sucks to return from vacation.
Like really, really sucks. But in my 27 years of traveling, I’ve come up with some pretty legit ways to battle the ‘I-can’t-believe-I-had-to-return-to-the-real-world-blues.’
And because you’re pretty great, I thought I would share these tips with you.
No need to thank me.
Without further ado, I present to you, How to Recover From an Awesome Vacation:
- Talk about your vacation as much as possible to everyone who will listen. If they threaten to start ignoring you, tell them that they’re an important part of your recovery process.
- Avoid doing real work for as long as you can, but then be super-productive so you can look like the rockstar you are and your bosses will forget that you’ve used up your entire year of PTO in 2 months.
- Keep your tan for weeks and weeks by moisturizing frequently and often. Use coconut oil every night.
- Drink tropical drinks, even if you live in Chicago and the bars have to make them especially for you. Also try to get bartenders to give you as many mini-umbrellas in said drinks as you can.
- Organize, edit, and create photo books from your unique vacation pics. If some pictures are especially good, print them out to display on the wall for all of the world to see! If you’re really feeling ambitious, post them on your cubicle walls at work to really rub-in the good time you had.
- Call family and friends and catch up on the good gossip you missed while you were away.
- And also check Twitter and celeb sites to see what other super-important stuff you missed. Did anyone get engaged, married, divorced, knocked up, make a sex tape?! These are the important questions in the real-world.
- And you should probably check all of your favorite blogs to catch up on your favorite bloggers and their lives, (while you’re already in stalking mode).
- Get your booty to the gym. I’m going to assume you drank tons of rum and ate lots of rich foods while on vacation, otherwise you clearly did it wrong, so there’s no better way to recover than sweating it all off. Plus, working out will help you stay distracted so you’re not sitting on the couch wishing you were in… let’s say… Hawaii.
- Make a plethora of plans with close friends and family so that you can go out and have some fun in your hometown as soon as you get off the plane! Once again, this will prevent sulking and will also encourage drinking, so you can’t lose.
And if all else fails… start to plan your next vacation! It’s never too early. Plus, the way to cure a hangover is to keep drinking, right? (If not, I’ve been doing it wrong).
*Linking up with Helene for Travel Tuesday!*