A Week of Adhering to a Bedtime – An Update

Last week I posted that I was going to try this crazy new concept called ‘having a bedtime’, and I’m happy to report that I’ve managed to adopt and continue this life-changing habit!

In a nutshell: having a bedtime is glorious.

My New Habit: Adhering to a Bedtime

I could have posted a picture of me sleeping, but this cat is way cuter. You’re welcome.

I firmly believe that I’m a better mother, wife, friend, etc. when I’ve gotten enough sleep. Who knew?! (Actually, I am quite certain everyone on Earth except for me had figured this out by age eight.)

Now, I haven’t exactly stuck to the 11pm rule, but I have gotten really, really close. One night I was up until 11:30pm and one night I was up until almost 2am, but that was because Tim and I have started hosting an Airbnb and let’s just say it got off to a rough start. More on that at a later date. Maybe.

So 5 out of 7 nights I was able to stick to my goal, and I’m considering that a win! I’ve noticed that when I’m able to fall asleep right around my bedtime of 11pm, I feel much more refreshed in the morning and have way more patience with Clara all day. With about 7 hours of sleep, I’m able to begin my day with an energy I’ve been lacking, and have more motivation to get things done around the house, workout, cross things off my to-do list… you get the idea.

So I guess sleep is pretty important and I’ve been missing out on it for far too long! For me, having a strict bedtime is the only way to ensure that I’ll get a proper amount of sleep. I tell myself that at 11pm I need to put down whatever I’m doing and go to sleep, and it usually works. The idea of an absolute bedtime helps me to limit mindless social media scrolling or trying to finish an entire novel in one night. It also takes one more decision out of my day, since I don’t need to think about how much I need to sleep or whether whatever I’m engrossed in late at night is worth the sleep deprivation it’s going to cause.

Quite simply, having a bedtime has turned into an essential for me, and I’m certainly going to stick with this habit going forward. In another 2 months I’m actually going to make my bedtime 10pm so that I can prepare for this second baby, but I won’t get that far ahead of myself.

Right now I’m celebrating that I managed to make it a week into this new habit, and have zero thoughts of going back to my old, unstructured ways of going to bed. YAY!

Do you have any habits you’ve recently adopted?

This entry was posted in being an adult, being introspective, consciously evolving and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to A Week of Adhering to a Bedtime – An Update

1. I would not be able to function without a bedtime. My exact bedtime varies from day to day, but it’s always (ideally) eight hours before I need to wake up. I usually miss it by 10-20 minutes, but I’m pretty protective of my sleep (because WHOA BABY am I a cranky pants when I’m sleep deprived. I don’t get very hangry, but I ABSOLUTELY am a monster when I haven’t slept enough.) and don’t deviate from that too often except in the most extreme circumstances.

See, it’s too hard to predict a wake-up time with a toddler, but even when I worked I would just keep changing my morning wake-up time to get enough sleep, and then I’d be late to everything I needed to do! Clearly I need more structure because I cannot be trusted to make wise choices consistently.

yaaaas, so happy you lived it and it’s working for you. ironically, I’ve gotten worse with my bedtime, which I’m blaming on wanting to spend ALL THE TIME with joe. using you as my example to get back to it.

Well I can see that! I used to want to spend more time with Tim, but now I just want bed. Hahahaha! Actually, he loves going to sleep early so he’s a huge fan of this new habit.

3. I need to reincorporate this into my life. I used to be pretty disciplined about it, but I’ve fallen off the bandwagon for sure!!

I mean, I’m only a week in and have ‘failed’ twice, but I’m really trying to be disciplined about it because I feel so much better every day when I get enough sleep!

4. I really need to do this. Right now I have no bedtime… it’s just whenever I finish what I need to get done for school and such or whenever I hit a wall. Usually it’s close to midnight 🙁

5. Sarah Brooks says:

Oooo I want to know more about your AirBNB! Is it in Chicago or Seattle?! I would love to do that, haha!

As far as bedtime, I am usually asleep by 9:30/10. My husband and I normally head upstairs around 8:30 to chat or watch TV. Our system works because we get some guaranteed kid-free time each evening, and I usually fall asleep pretty early during one of our TV shows. My girls get up at like 5:30/6 though so I’m averaging about 8 hours assuming they sleep through (which is never, lol). Loved this post! Thanks!!

-Sarah coffeetalkformamas.com

I’m definitely going to write an Airbnb post once I know what the heck we’re doing It’s in Seattle and we’re BRAND NEW. Just started this past Monday, phew! It’s actually really fun.

I’m so impressed with anyone who can go to bed before 10pm. I just can’t even fathom it! Clara goes to bed at 8 and I still don’t think I get enough kid-free time if I stay up until 11pm! We’re definitely on the 5:30-6am wakeup schedule though – booooo!

6. Susannah says:

Oh my goodness, PLEASE share your AirBNB story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When we get to meet your adorable furry family member, I will fill you in. We were off to a rocky start but it’s gotten figured out now. BUT if you know anyone who wants to visit you and you don’t have space for them, send them our way! We have an entire apartment for guests!

7. Lisa C says:

Yeah, I started having a bed time in the fall when I started grad school at the age of 27. It’s 9:30 pm (though I’m staying up late because we have a snow day).

Wow that’s so early! I’m impressed. Right now it’s 11:08 and I’ve already missed my bedtime so I’m making it 11:30 for tonight… I just CANNOT manage to go to bed before 11!

8. This is so great! I’ve decided on an 11pm bedtime too. And if I want to read in bed, I’ll be in bed by 10:30. The idea is that I am completely asleep no later than 11:30.

Well…. now the problem is that I go to bed at 11pm but then read until midnight… so I’ve clearly been failing the last few days. But I’m working on getting back on track!

9. i LOVE my bedtime; i need it. i’m such a grouch when i don’t have enough sleep but then again, i go to bed super early, as in asleep by (930/10pm because old lady bedtimes rule! also, i get up really early as well (5am) so i need the sleep!

Wowwwww…. I’m so impressed with people who can go to bed before 10pm! No matter how early I wake up, I just can’t do it. But I also wake up at 6am and not usually 5!