The Second Trimester Has Come and Gone

I cannot believe that I’m already in the third trimester of this pregnancy! I only know because an app told me, and if my phone says something is true, it is true.

Here are two posts from the second trimester of my first pregnancy:

It’s so fun to read back on some of my thoughts, because at this point with Clara I was convinced she’d be a boy… but I only remember thinking she’d be a girl because I was so certain by the end that she was a girl – and of course I was right!

Anyway.

Second Trimester of Pregnancy

Globe made with love by Amber (Etsy shop). The bump also made with love – and tequila.

Here’s how the second trimester of this pregnancy went:

• I got way, way bigger than I was at the second trimester with Clara. If you don’t believe me (but you should definitely believe me) just take a look at one of those previous blog posts. I still had a tiny baby belly!
  • I started going to a chiropractor, and it definitely helped to alleviate some slight pregnancy discomforts I had in my back and hips.
  • I also started getting monthly massages – because why not?! Plus, in Washington, insurance covers massages! Free massages, guys!
  • I started feeling baby kicks around week 15 – magic, pure magic.
  • We flew to Chicago for Christmas and the plane ride wasn’t that uncomfortable – yay!
  • I could barely keep track of the weeks and they definitely flew right on by. I kept thinking that time would start going more slowly as I got bigger/more uncomfortable and as the reality settled in that we’re going to meet our next child soon… but nope, time flew, even after the holidays.
  • Nursery? What nursery? Do we need one of those…?
  • I continued to be in baby denial.
  • I started getting a little more fatigued by the end of the second trimester, but overall I felt really, really good. My nausea and super-fatigue ended around 17 weeks (praise God).
  • I began having trouble putting on my own socks. And Clara’s socks. Luckily, Tim can fend for himself, so that’s one family member I don’t need to worry about when it comes to putting on footwear!
  • I didn’t crave anything, but I ate a lot of sweets. And carbs. So basically, my diet stayed the same.
  • I passed the 1-hour test for gestational diabetes – phew! I actually loved going to the lab to get screened, because other than the chugging of the super sweet drink and the blood draw, it was an hour of ‘me’ time that I got to enjoy!
  • I tried to stay active by going to yoga class and barre class and walking. I didn’t do any of it as much as I would have liked, but I’m still working on it.
  • I got this pregnancy/body pillow and it quickly became my favorite thing ever. (I really should have gotten one when I was pregnant with Clara.)
  • I bought and started wearing maternity clothes.
  • We saw Baby Beni on ultrasound and (s)he looked great! We don’t know of any complications at this point. They did tell me that I’ll need an additional ultrasound at week 30 because I may have a low-lying placenta, but I’m praying that it will have moved by then.
  • We interviewed a doula who might be the one we end up working with, but the thought of labor and delivery basically remained far from my mind, unlike the first time around when I was more or less obsessed with it. I guess not going to labor and delivery classes really helped keep those thoughts at bay.
  • I didn’t even open a book about pregnancy or development or what’s happening week by week with me or the baby. I checked the Baby Center app occasionally, but only when I had specific questions, like, ‘how big is this little guy/gal now?! I feel too huge!’
  • We started reading Clara books on becoming a big sister, which she absolutely loved.
  • I decided Baby Beni is a boy. Absolutely.
  • I really appreciated feeling good, because I was only too-aware of how bad I’m going to feel by the end of the third trimester.

And I think I’ll end it on that optimistic note! Gosh, the second trimester is such a busy time during pregnancy, isn’t it?! So much to do and think about, or in my case, things to avoid thinking about… I’m ready for this third trimester thing, though. Bring on the discomfort and hugeness!

If you need me, I’ll be slathering myself in coconut oil to hopefully avoid stretch marks (again).

This entry was posted in pregnancy and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to The Second Trimester Has Come and Gone

1. I can’t believe you’re due so soon! Ahh, so excited for you!

Don’t say it’s soon – I feel like it’s forever and a half away! Hahahaha! I mean, I’m sure on one hand it will fly by but right now it seems so far away!

2. Hold on – massages are covered by your insurance?! Reason #20934823 why I need to move to Seattle. Also, not that my feelings on this really count for anything because what on earth do I know?, but I’ve been thinking Baby Beni is a boy all along, too 🙂

YES. I mean, they’re covered once my deductible is met, but since this is a birth year, we’ll definitely meet it so essentially they’re FREE!! And I’m taking full advantage 🙂

3. Erin says:

Loved reading this- and I went back and re-read your other second trimester confessions too. I feel very similar in that I’m just now barely showing at 20 weeks and have only gained around 7 pounds. I know the big belly is coming though, so I’ll be patient 😉

Ohhhh just wait! You’ll probably be like me and all of a sudden get huge out of nowhere! Hahaha! Sorry, not funny, but kind of funny because I love looking at pics of myself when I was huge and you just have to laugh about it. Except for now I’m going through it again. Wah wah!

Free massages?! So exciting to be in the final stretch!

YES!!! I mean, it’s not unlimited… but I think I can have like 20 per year! (And I do have to pay until I reach my deductible… but I’ll easily reach that this year so they’re free for me!)

5. Maybe you’ve mentioned this in other posts, I can’t remember… my brain is fried right now… but I’m curious about your expectations/thoughts going into labor this time around. Because I know last time you had it planned and it went the complete opposite.
    Also.. I want my insurance to cover free massages!

Oh I’m saving this post until a few more weeks go by so I can write it after I talk to my doula about birth plans and all of that… but basically I’m way more laid back about it this time but also pretty scared going into it. I’m in denial that I actually have to go through it all again. But I do know that I’m keeping my original birth plan exactly as it is and am trying for it again!

6. LOOK AT YOUR BUMP!!!!! Loving that custom globe, too. 🙂 Hope you enjoy a restful weekend my friend!

love that globe by amber! the only thing stopping me from ordering one is the COMPLETE lack of surface space in our home. and wall space somehow…also: i completely credit the chiropractor for my easy labor. i had terrible hip pain in the early third trimester, like could barely walk it was so bad. i started going to one regularly for the rest of my pregnancy, and not only did the hip pain go away, but i truly believe that i was able to labor and deliver with no issues (and quickly!) because i was all lined up. hope your discomfort goes away! and that the last weeks go by easily and quickly!

Ohhhh I’m so glad that you felt like a chiropractor helped! I went last time at 41+ weeks (yeah, I waited until the last minute) and promised myself this time I would go way earlier, to hopefully get my pelvis and hips looser so this baby drops! Drop baby, drop!

8. ah, so excited for you!!

also – insurance covers massage?! how did I not know this?!

At first it goes against your deductible but THEN it’s completely free! At least that’s how mine works because I have a high-deductible plan. Definitely check it out, though! Free massages!

9. Lisa C says:

Does Clara really need socks? I feel like footy pajamas are so much cooler than normal clothes.

SO TRUE. And she loves her footy pajamas and then she can’t take them off. We’re having an ‘issue’ right now because Clara takes her shoes and socks off every time she’s in the carseat or stroller, and then tosses them to the side. I’ve had to go back and search the sidewalk multiple times over the last few days, because she throws them without me seeing and I keep walking!