Why I Switched from Bloglovin’ to Feedly.

I recently made the switch from Bloglovin’ to Feedly, and I must say, I’m happy with my decision. I know Bloglovin’ is all the rage right now (and has been for a while), but for me, I was seeing too many ads, and for some reason I kept scrolling down and seeing the same 10 posts (as ‘unread’) over and over again.

Bloglovin’ started seeming cumbersome and overly complicated, and I don’t know why I kept having technical difficulties, but there they were.

Then I switched to Feedly and blog reading has become much, much simpler.

Switching-from-Bloglovin-to-Feedly

This is what I like about Feedly:

• I can concisely and quickly see a list of blog posts. I can also easily hide the posts I don’t wish to read.
  • I actually think it takes me about 1/3 of the time to read through my feed, compared to the amount of time it took me when I was using Bloglovin’. I credit this to faster page load times. (But, in Feedly I don’t see the blogs as their actual page – like I did when I was using the Bloglovin’ frame. Instead, I only see the posts and images and no header/sidebar/etc.)
  • It’s really simple to open a blog outside of Feedly so that I can comment (so I do it more often).
  • It’s also easy to save or share a link to the actual blog from Feedly, whereas in Bloglovin’ it always linked to the post within the Bloglovin’ frame (if that makes sense).
  • Adding content from a blog/website to my feed is very simple.
  • There are different views in which I can look at the list of blog posts in my feed. Personally, I use the ‘title only’ view so that the page loads more quickly.
  • I can create categories of blogs so that I can better organize my feed.
  • There’s nothing I need to do to manage my own blog in Feedly. I didn’t need to ‘claim’ it or do anything at all for readers to be able to access it.

If you love Bloglovin’, great, don’t fix what isn’t broken! But if you’re looking for a different way to read blog posts, I highly recommend trying out Feedly.

* Sidenote: You can definitely still use Bloglovin’ to keep up with Naptime Chai! I don’t use Bloglovin’ for my blog reading needs, but that doesn’t affect my blog being able to be read through their site.

I’m genuinely interested, how do you keep up with your favorite blogs?

This entry was posted in blogging and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Why I Switched from Bloglovin’ to Feedly.

1. i was so sad when google put a bullet in their GReader because it was the best. Feedly is a very good one and i did not like Bloglovin’ AT ALL. way too much stuff in my face and i hated that it didn’t link me directly to the person’s blog but to another bloglovin page of that person’s blog. LET ME CLICK WHERE I WANT!!

my feedly blew up a couple years ago, but I think they’ve done a lot of development since then, so I’m tempted to go back!

I find it funny that I clicked on this through Bloglovin 😉 I have been having the same issues with Bloglovin’ and I can’t stand it. I actually had never heard of Feedly, but I am going to give it a try. Reading blogs has become so difficult and I hate that it leads to a post inside of a BL window instead of the actual page.

Hahaha I know, I have a lot of readers that use Bloglovin! Definitely try out Feedly and let me know what you think. I seriously almost stopped reading blogs for a while because it took SO long, and now I love it because it’s so much more efficient and easier for me to comment.

4. Betsy Glenn says:

I’ve been thinking about using feedly lately. Just need time to actually set it up though haha.

5. Neely says:

I use both and I agree Feedly has some great things going. Bloglovin and the ads need to STOP! I hate that it doesn’t hide the read posts. Annoying!

Yeah once the ads started on Bloglovin’ I feel like my whole experience with it went downhill! Plus, for whatever reason, it started taking FOREVER to load the list of posts.

6. Kalyn P says:

I don’t use either! Bloglovin was never my cup of tea (I’m with you, when I click a link I want to go to the actual SITE, not another bloglovin page). I just do it the old fashioned way of typing the url into the browser and go from there. Also read a lot of posts (like this one) via facebook!

7. Heather H says:

Your post has convinced me to (at least) try to make the switch! I have experienced the same thing with Bloglovin’ not marking read posts and it drives me totally crazy. Feedly seems a lot like Google Reader in some ways! I do like how I could comment right from Bloglovin and with Feedly you have to click through to the actual blog, which I might not always be inclined to do. I’m looking forward to doing some organizing and minimalizing though! Thanks for the great overview.

I recommend you at least try Feedly or another reader like that! I don’t know why Bloglovin’ seems so glitchy, but it does. Let me know if you like it 🙂

8. I adore feedly! I’ve been using it ever since google reader disappeared. I never understood the appeal of bloglovin with the bar at the top of the page. Feedly is awesome and the app is easy to use too!

Ohhhh I haven’t used the app yet! I hated the Bloglovin’ app and didn’t even think to check for the Feedly app. Usually I read blogs on my computer so I can comment more easily. I agree, I didn’t love Bloglovin’ (ironic) from the start, but it seemed like everyone was jumping on it so I stayed around. I’m happy I made the switch over, though.

9. barbara says:

late again for a discussion!!
    so – is there no way to “hide” a post that you’ve already read on bloglovin, as you can on feedly? i was thinking of using it as a backup to my feedly because i don’t trust any of them to to not go down.

Honestly I haven’t used Bloglovin’ in so long that I’m not sure how to hide posts! I know you can mark them as read, if that’s what you mean!