My one word “resolution” for 2017

I’m a total sucker for the word of the year trend happening lately.

A few years ago I chose “still”. Then I chose “intentional”. Then I chose “embrace”. This year I’m choosing “beautify”.

One word resolution for 2017: Beautify

More specifically, I want to work on my interior decor, my wardrobe, and my makeup & hair. (And of course, I want to continue working out, but that’s not an area I’ve struggled with, so it’s not a particular focus this year.) Deep stuff over here, guys. I know these things seem shallow, but the truth is that I’ve never invested time or money into making sure that I know how to make myself nor my home look decent, which seems absurd since I’m almost 31 years old!

Also, now that I’m a stay at home mom, it’s become increasingly important to me to have a home in which I enjoy being and entertaining others. My home is my domain, and I’m tired of being surrounded by cheap(ish) things that I don’t necessarily love. I’ve always said that I’ll start focusing on our home when we actually own one, but I’m tired of waiting, darnit! There’s no time like the present!

I’ve decided to invest in beautiful things this year. To spend my time and energy getting ready each morning so I feel good about myself, exploring beautiful places, buying only things that I think are truly beautiful (and useful, but mainly beautiful), ensuring the decor in my home is high-quality and cohesive, and learning how to properly do my hair and makeup so that I present my best outward self to the world each day.

I want to bake beautiful things (in the sense that beautiful = from the heart when it comes to food!), be more thoughtful with cards and gifts, and beautify my relationships by focusing on the small things. In this way I hope to beautify the lives of others, as well!

I don’t simply want to do things to get them done, I want to do them well and in a way that makes life a bit more beautiful.

It’s not the deepest word, but I think that focusing on it will really help me in many areas of my life right now. We shall see. If nothing else, hopefully I can learn how to use a curling iron by 2018.

What is your word?!

This entry was posted in consciously evolving, new year resolutions and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to My one word “resolution” for 2017

I don’t think that’s shallow at all! I definitely don’t know how to really apply makeup or do my hair and I kind of look like a hot mess a lot 🙂 I think there’s something to be said for intentionally buying things you love rather than just something to sit there.

2. I love it! There’s a lot to be said about making your day-to-day beautiful!

3. Steph Gregerson says:

I love your word. I feel like it will give you different challenges than the typical resolutions. Happy New Year!

I agree, it should make me think about things a bit differently this year because it’s kind of out of the box for me. Thanks for the encouragement!

4. Love your word! I think people forget that making your life beautiful can make your life happy – it’s not a bad thing it’s human psychology!

5. I don’t think your word is shallow. If it’s perfect for you (and it sounds like it is!), then it’s perfect overall! You make so many good points about wanting to feel good and wanting your space to be beautiful and personal! Makes total sense!

6. I like this word choice! And as you learn how to beautify and cohesive-fy you’re house… can you come to mine? 🙂

Hahaha it may take me all year, but it’s happening! It would probably be more effective if I just threw away all of my stuff and started over, but that probably wouldn’t go over well with my other half and my wallet!

7. I love your word and the goal behind it!!!

8. I think that’s a great word for 2017. A couple of years ago I made a concentrated effort to look put together and nice instead of just throwing on a plain shirt and jeans every day, and while I’m hardly the most fashionable person in the world (and, fairly often, fall back into my plain shirt and jeans ways), I was SO surprised by how much better I felt about myself when I looked put together. It seemed like such a silly thing to care about, but it really did make a difference in my confidence!

I must say, a week into it, I love my word! I’ve put makeup on every day, whether I feel like it’s necessary or not, and I feel WAY better. I’m also doing an outfit challenge so I’ve put on a put-together outfit every day and that’s helped a ton too! You’re right, it totally makes a difference!

I think this is fabulous. I’ve been wanting to do the same but we have decided that we (for our own sanity) need to wait til there are no toddlers to invest in nice stuff…it’ll make us too mad when stuff gets spilled or broken if stuff is nice haha. But the doing things beautifully, that’s a wonderful goal and so worthwhile to work on.

It’s so true! I don’t think we’re quite ready for nice stuff in terms of furnitre, because we’re still in a rental house, BUT I did buy a new rug because I just couldn’t keep our white shag rug white! I feel a million times better about it already. The other one was making me crazy.

10. Susannah says:

I think your word is fantastic and not shallow at all! We should all be striving to bring beauty into the world in whatever form that looks like! <3

11. Kaitlyn says:

Uff, I still do not know how to do hair/makeup, which does cause me a lot of unnecessary stress (like right before events when I remember I don’t know how to apply any eye makeup properly or own any of the right products)… this is a legit resolution! My (male) friend started a company called Beautylish and knows way more about any of this than me, they hired a bunch of YouTube stars to make tons of great tutorials for their website, check it out!! Their mobile page and app are not great, go for the (free) desktop videos — here is their hair curling tutorial page: https://www.beautylish.com/videos/hair-curling

I’ve thought a lot about what word I need right now (I think my 2016 word was “need” and my goal was to be aware of and responsive to my own needs, which was a huge success and helped me get through quite a lot!)… I am going to borrow your word from a couple years ago and aim for “stillness” in 2017. I had so many changes occur in 2016 (dragging myself to the residency finish line, applying for and then choosing/starting a new job, moving towns, Mangesh moving in — also planning a couple big/complicated trips, and my new nephew’s birth + his significant health conditions and very long NICU stay + re-hospitalizations, and my dog had a major illness, plus some deaths in the family… wow, no wonder I am exhausted), and I’m happy with how I was able to handle and juggle everything, but it was extremely stressful!!

I still haven’t quite relaxed, and planning for all of these changes has gotten me into the habit of feeling like I need to be constantly moving forward, which leaves me quite stressed about the future. In 2017, I am going to just stay still and focus on 2017. I can worry about 2018 in 2018. I will stay still in my current job and make the most of it. I will stay still and invest in my positive relationships. I will stay still in my awesome neighborhood and think about my community here. I will stay still in my body and take good care of it now. I will stay still with my thoughts and feelings and allow them to develop so that I can express them. Phew, this is going to be good for me. I am starting to feel better already 🙂

Gosh your 2016 was BUSY! Which I knew, of course, before reading this comment, but when I read it all at once it really does seem VERY exhausting and stressful. I think you can use some additional stillness and I love that you’re focusing on it for 2017! I think there’s something to not trying to change or do anything, but instead investing in what you already have. I can always improve on that. Great thoughts per usual, friend.

I love your word of the year! Also, I am jealous that working out is not a feat for you. I think taking time to beautify the important things in our life is important, and you will have a great year!

Well, some days it’s still hard to make myself go, but I truly love getting my sweat on! I joined a boxing gym last month and it is FUN!

13. Pingback: Best Writing Service