Mom confessions.

I can almost hear you thinking to yourself “gee, it’s Wednesday and my brain is barely functioning so I hope Lisa writes another bullet-pointed list instead of a full blog post!”

In which case, you’re in luck! My brain is also barely functioning today (but thank you for your assistance vanilla sweet crème cold brew from Starbucks) so a bullet-pointed blog post it shall be.

Mom Confessions

+ I make Tim come with me to every single doctor appointment (for the girls) because I just can’t do the shot thing by myself.  Although, yesterday Clara got one shot and Isabelle got three and it went surprisingly well! However, Isabelle is still feeling quite a bit sore today, poor baby.

+ I have no idea when Isabelle was last bathed. Last week? The week before? No clue.

+ I am the opposite of a germ-aphobe and Clara has had less than five colds in her entire life. Coincidence? I think not! (Well, at least this is what I tell myself when I see her licking park equipment and I have no energy to even try to stop her.)

+ I truly find joy in being a stay-at-home mom. It’s so hard, but I know that no other job would be as rewarding to me (at this point in the girls’ lives). If I was sitting in a boring meeting in corporate America, I just know that I would be wishing that I was spending time with my little ladies instead. However, I do hope to get back to work one day when the girls are in school. Actually, if I’m being totally honest, the thought of sitting in a room with AC and no children sounds pretty glorious some most days.

+ I just signed Clara up for swim lessons and paid a lot of money for them. A LOT. I’ve never felt like more of a mom.

+ People told me that it would get easier to have two kids 21 months apart after three months or so. Those people were lying to me. It has not gotten easier! I’ll let you know if next month is any better… stay tuned.

+ Clara spoiled us rotten when she was a baby. Everyone commented about how easy she was and we had no clue if it was true or not because we had no one to compare her to. WELL Isabelle is NOT an easy baby so now I appreciate how easy Clara really was. Being the mom to a fussy baby is hard! Thankfully, Isabelle recently found her thumb and learned to roll over so she’s much more content as of the last month or so. Once babies are able to self-soothe life is so much happier for everyone involved. Meaning for me and Tim. And probably Isabelle, too.

+ Two years (plus a month or so) into this motherhood thing, I still don’t know how to do Clara’s hair in a way that makes her look even remotely put together. Her hair continues to be wild (just like her personality).

+ Some days I count down the minutes until Tim gets home… starting at 8:30am.

+ I still struggle to feel like myself most days. I barely remember who the pre-kids Lisa is. I sometimes wonder if I’ll ever get her back… I remember she was less tired!

And with that I’m going to spend the rest of Clara’s naptime writing a to-do list of all of the things that need to get done in the next two weeks. Yikes. Wish me luck.

We’re halfway through the week! We can do this!

This entry was posted in motherhood and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Mom confessions.

1. Jess says:

I love reading posts like this to see what’s ahead of me haha. We are about to have our first and I can’t imagine trying to keep up with two. I hope it’s a thing you figure out as you go. I don’t know if we’ll be so lucky to have an “easy baby,” but I can dream.

2. Sarah says:

I am already dreading going back to work and sitting in those boring meetings….

3. I bathe Frances maaaaybeee once a week. Most times I just give her a quick once over with a baby wipe and call it good. 😉

I think Isabelle has been bathed at least three times in her life… so we’re at once a month, maybe?! I’m going to try to improve upon this soon…

4. Lindsay F says:

Wow, loved this post. My kids are also 21 months apart and it is SO SO hard. The days are long but I promise it does get easier. Now my kids are almost 3 and 1 and they take baths together which they love and we have a routine. I felt like at 7-8 months it definitely got easier. Side note, I follow you on snapchat, and I can SO relate to those slow walks with my toddler. Why does it take us an hour to walk around the block???

Whenever my friends say they want kids close together I really try my hardest not to say NO YOU DO NOT! But I’m sure I may feel differently in a few months/years! I’m glad it’s gotten easier for you, because that gives me hope! Also, slow walks… the worst. Especially when coffee is at the other end of the hike!

5. Yeah, That second kiddo sure doesn’t get bathed much, Huh? I try to do once a week but I can never remember the last time I did it so it’s probably longer ago. It’s gotten a little easier now that they can take baths together. My son is 9 months now and just started crawling so that’s been a whole new difficulty. I’m looking forward to like 2 and 4… I think we’ll have a lot of fun then. I feel bad sometimes that I’m not able to cherish these days more… My son is so chubby and adorable! But mostly it’s just so hard! I have thought many times at 9 am, “Only 10 more hours until bedtime!”

I cannot wait until they can do baths together! That sounds so much easier. Actually, I can’t wait until they can do just about anything together… I’m also looking forward to the 4 & 2 stage! Only 2 more years 😉

6. WVUGrad07 says:

I’m the second child and was the difficult baby compared to my sister. My mom always said God gives you the easy one first, or else no one else would have another baby!

I spend a lot of my time at work wishing I were with my girl at home, so you are very right about that! I’m glad you are finding a lot of joy in the SAHM life. R has been a pretty easy baby, so I don’t really want to find out what a fussy baby is like! I’m sure it’s really hard. But she can’t be fussy forever, right? We hope 🙂

8. swimming lessons?! amazing! she’s growing up (but not too fast, don’t worry) 🙂

Hahaha I KNOW! She has started to get far too fearless in lakes so we decided swim lessons are necessary over the winter. But today was a disaster so I just hope she likes it a little more next time…

I’m hoping my second baby is my non-fussy baby. wishful thinking probably. also, those people who said 3 months WERE lying. my mom said it takes at least 6 months haha.

10. I feel like I was told a lot of lies when I was pregnant haha. And I say let her hair be wild, she’ll spend forever worrying about how to style it anyway, no reason you should do the worrying now!

Hahahaha any lies in particular that stand out?! Sounds like a great blog post 🙂 I love your reasoning, maybe instead of asking me what I was thinking (when she’s older and sees pics of herself as a disheveled baby) she’ll be like ‘wow mom, thanks for letting me be such a carefree spirit!’

11. Susannah says:

Yes! Fussy babies are HARD!!! And seriously, sometimes I just want to work in corporate America too. Although I think some people I’d be working with/for would remind me a little too much of my toddler. 😉

Why can’t they just be LESS fussy?! I mean, what does she WANT?! And I think you’re right… and it’s hard to put coworkers in timeout when they actually AREN’T toddlers!

12. Lisa C says:

Every time I see a kid doing something gross, I tell their parent it’s good for their immune system. You are not alone.