The girls are now sharing a room!

Well, it happened again. As Tim and I were lying in bed one morning, we saw Isabelle just walking around the hallway. Which shouldn’t happen, since she’s in a crib. Or at least she was supposed to be in a crib.

Some kids don’t ever try to climb out of their cribs, but mine seem to think it’s their sole mission to escape whatever confines they’re in. Isabelle first climbed out of her crib in late December, and we lowered the mattress all the way to the ground (with the crib around it) to buy ourselves some more time. (Well, first we tried to move her into a ‘big girl bed’ but that was DISASTER, so we went back to the crib.)

But, once we saw that she had managed to escape again, we knew it was time to do the big girl bed transfer 2.0.

Our experience transitioning our toddlers to a shared room!

I decided we should move Isabelle into Clara’s space, because I thought it might encourage Isabelle to stay in the room, since she wasn’t alone in there. And let me tell you, I was right!

The first time we tried the transition from crib to toddler bed – back in December – Isabelle would promptly get out, run to the door (which was locked from the outside) and bang and bang on it until we lost our minds and went to go get her. By that time she would have woken Clara up and the whole house would be in chaos. This time, however, we’re able to rock her until she’s really drowsy, and then transfer her into her bed, where she’ll stay. Miraculously!

Of course, it helps that at this point Isabelle has better sleep habits in general. But still! Success! Clara also loves having a sleepover buddy, although a few nights she has told us that Isabelle is too loud and she wants her out of the room. Oh well, kid.

I don’t have a sister so I never experienced room-sharing, but I think it’s going to be great for the girls. I’m not sure how long it will last, but hopefully they appreciate having a buddy with them. It’s also nice that we have an extra bedroom that is now a toddler ‘reading room’ for quiet time. And if the girls need to spread out one day, they can! Or if one of them is sick or having a tough time sleeping, we can move them into the other bedroom for a while. I’m all about keeping our options open and flexible…

I don’t have any tips about how to transition toddlers into sharing a room, because our experience wasn’t very difficult! Bedtime routines do look a little bit different. It seems to work better to put Clara into bed, and then rock Isabelle in a separate room until she can be quietly transferred. However, we have had Clara stay up later than Isabelle, and that works fine, too.

The most challenging part is that in the middle of the night if one of the girls starts yelling because they have to go potty or need water or any of the million things they come up with, we feel extra pressure to respond before they wake the other girl up.

The moral of the story is, if you’re thinking about having your kids share a room, go for it! There are not many experiences in parenting that I feel are easier than what I anticipated, but this was one of them.

Do your kids share a room? Did you share a room when you were little? Thoughts?!

This entry was posted in motherhood and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The girls are now sharing a room!

1. Rachel Emily says:

Camden might be 5 years old by the time I bite the bullet and transition him to a toddler bed. He has never made a move to get out of his crib so don’t fix what isn’t broken is what I say lol. So glad you have had a smooth transition this time! I shared a room with one of my siblings all my life and it was (mostly) fun!

• I feel the same way about my 2 year old. I don’t ever want to transfer her to a toddler bed where she can get out since she’s not trying to get out of her crib!!
      Lisa how far apart are your girls in age?

If she’s not trying to get out, no reason to bother with the transition! I was hoping Isabelle would make it to at least 2.5 or 3 before I had to transfer her, but alas… My girls are 21 months apart. Isabelle is turning two at the end of this month and Clara turns 4 in July.

I am so jealous that he hasn’t tried to climb out! Definitely keep him in there as long as possible! Somehow my girls seem to be genetically wired to climb out of anything and everything! I’m glad you thought sharing a room was a positive experience – I hope my girls are the same!

2. I’m so glad I’m not the only one who locks my child’s door from the outside…. The other morning I realized I’d left Bensen’s unlocked, but he never tried to escape, so, I think that’s a win… maybe??? My hat’s off to you for getting them to share a room, that’s one of my deterrents from having a 3rd, someone’s going to have to share and I don’t know if I can handle that hahaha. But it sounds like it’s working out really well for you and I’m glad!!

Everyone locks their kids in their rooms, right?! I mean, maybe not always, but at least some of the time when doing the transition to a toddler bed! We did it wayyyy more for Clara than we’ve needed to for Isabelle, though!

3. I’m glad I never had to share a room, lol!! At least, not that I remember. I think when I was SUPER young (2 or 3) my infant brother was in a room with me for a few months, but then we moved houses and we each got our own bedrooms 🙂 Great job with the girls!! That’s impressive!

Hahaha! I never had to share a room either, but it’s because I had brothers! Well, now that I think about it, I guess I did share in the college dorms, and I loved it!

Mine share a room! R is 2.5 and J is 9.5 months. We put them in the same room when J was 6 months old. It sometimes goes really well and other times…. sometimes he’s sleeping and she wiill reach through the crib bars and pinch him and wake him up. WHY. R escapes her toddler bed all the time and it’s super obnoxious.

Wow, 6 months! You really went after it! Bravo! It sounds like you guys have quite the shenanigans going on at night over there! 😉 Sometimes Clara will hop into Isabelle’s bed to snuggle her if she’s crying too much. However, Isabelle never appreciates the extra love and it turns into a complete sh*t show. Sigh. Toddlers.

5. yay! i’m so glad it’s going well with them! YAY! we’ve got one kid and a dog and sometimes they share a room…not quite the same though

6. Susannah says:

How fun that they’re loving it! What a great idea to do the toddler bed and room sharing transition at the same time! I’ll have to remember that for when Josiah’s ready to be in a toddler bed since the end goal is for the boys to share a room and an eventual baby #3 to have Josiah’s room.

I’m not sure if it was genius or the worst idea I’ve ever had… we recently contacted a sleep consultant because it has been SUCH CHAOS over here! I’ll let you know how that goes!